Friday, October 28, 2011

Old Wives' Tales and Gender

We're getting pretty anxious these days to find out whether this little person inside of me is a boy or a girl. Eric's even got a pool going at work and some lucky guesser (of gender and weight, or birth date and time) will maybe win 6 or 7 dollars... or more I suppose if guesses continue to trickle in.  :)  It's definitely the question I've been asked the most in the last 9 months - Do you know what you're having?  The answer is no, I don't.  

Based on how I'm carrying and how the old wives tales go, most people I encounter seem to think our little one is going to be a boy.  So just for fun the other night, I took a quiz I found online to tell you the gender of your baby using Old Wives' Tales.  It told me I was having a boy.  But upon further inspection, the break down of the results were 9 old wives' tale matches for a boy... and 8 matches for a girl. :)  Not exactly a convincing set of results. 

It was pretty entertaining though...  sure I'd heard the ones about carrying high or low, whether you can tell you're pregnant from the back or not, even those based on what types of food you're craving... but I chuckled over many others like how you pick up your keys, how strongly you smell of garlic after eating it, how clumsy you are pregnant, which of your sides you prefer to sleep on, etc.  There were 17 in all.

One of my pregnancy books stated that Old Wives' Tales have about a 50% rate of accuracy.  (Which was supposed to be a joke, because of course, all guesses have a 50% rate of accuracy when there are only two possible outcomes.)  I suppose I don't really believe in them, but it is fun to dream and guess while we're waiting. 

The doctor informed me at my last visit that I have a full term uterus and it's just a matter of days now.  I'm afraid my gut reaction was to take him a little too literally on the "days" part and kind of made a fool of myself in his office  - exclaiming "REALLY?!?!"  Well, anyway, the due date is just three weeks from tomorrow so no matter how you look at it, I suppose it really is just a matter of days.  It could happen any day now, and we cannot wait to let everyone know if it's a boy or a girl!  :)

If anyone wants to make a guess, feel free to post a comment below.  I can't promise you a part of the winnings from Eric's pool (unless you want to chip in a dollar), but you can at least take pride in having been right... here's a pic of me and of baby if it'll help! :)  


    #Meagan

3 comments:

Paisley said...

i think it's a BOY! but you already knew that. :)

The Baack Family said...

I guess boy! Praying for a quick and safe delivery.
Donna

The MRS. said...

I just posted a long thing. and it didn't work. Anyway, I pretty much said - I don't think you can ever guess really, but I hoping for a boy for Anthony's sake so they can wrestle. Also I think you'll deliver before the 19th. I think the baby will have brown hair, blue eyes and weigh about 7 1/2 lbs. and you'll probably go to the hospial in the middle of the night. Call me when you head to the hospital if you can!
Love you!
Heidi