Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Sleep talking/walking

I'm not sure how many of you have experience with sleep talkers and walkers, but Eric is both. Usually it is a somewhat rare occurance for him, and occurs primarily after major life changes (getting married, Asher's birth), stress (buying our house, work challenges), or sleeping in a new place (my parents house at holidays, hotels).  Pretty much times when he's not sleeping very soundly. I've now discovered it also comes from sleep deprivation.  (Asher was up 5 times in 7 hours last night, and I wasn't exactly quiet about it.)

Regardless,  let me tell you, his sleep walking/talking can stir up a whole host of emotions.  Sometimes, when I'm super tired and know I'm not going to get enough sleep, I can get pretty irritated that his talking is waking me up.  Sometimes it can be spooky, like when I wake up in the middle of the night to him sitting straight up in bed, or even walking around in the bedroom.  But most times, like last night, it is absolute hilarity!  :) 

I came back to bed at one-o-clock, after feeding Asher, to find Eric sitting up sideways in the middle of the bed.  And here is the dialogue that followed (to the best of my recollection):

Me: What are you doing?
Eric: Rubbing my eyes.
Me: Why?
Eric: I'm trying to get up.
Me: What are you going to do? (Still unsure if he's awake or asleep.)
Eric: I'm going to change the tire.  (Ummm... definitely asleep.)
Me:You're dreaming, go back to sleep.
Eric: No, I'm not.  You asked me to change the tire.
Me: No, I didn't. Why would I ask you to do that in the middle of the night?  It's one-o-clock.
Eric: Because, you asked me to change the tire on Asher's swing.
Me: Asher doesn't have a tire on his swing.
Eric: The tire that acts as the counterbalance on his swing.
Me: There's no tire on Asher's swing.
Eric: Oh good.  I really didn't want to get up.  (Mostly awake now.)
Me: You're funny.  Go to sleep.
Eric: I really didn't want to get up.

A few minutes later, when he thinks he's fully awake. You can almost see his half awake brain trying to rationalize his nonsensical dream talk.
 
Eric: You know if you think about it all, it does make sense. 
Me: No, no, it doesn't. Go to sleep. 

He continued to argue his point... but I had already fallen into a fit of giggles that kept me from falling back asleep for some time...

To his credit, we did have a flat tire on the car on Saturday and it did cause some stress for Eric.  BUT... this is Asher's swing.  Sorry, honey. No tire. :)


Anyway, just couldn't help not sharing some of the hilarity that ensues from our sleep deprived state of having an infant.  Let's see how much he remembers....

#Meagan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just figured out how to comment. This made me laugh out loud. Eric did not fall far from the tree on this one. Mom and I talked about these exact same scenarios in our house for the exact same reasons. There is hope I got better with age. Joey