Saturday, September 22, 2012

Coloring!

So I promised the story about Asher's coloring.  I had read in a baby book that around 9 months a baby could start holding a crayon and coloring.  So I, of course, started trying to introduce that skill, oh, around 5 months.  Umm... 1st child syndrome???  Anyway he hadn't really taken to it when we'd tried.  (Big surprise there, huh?)

Then last week, I was sitting by Asher while he played, writing a list of some sort (I'm ALWAYS making lists), and I left my pencil and pad of paper on the floor when I got up to do something... and didn't think anything of it.

I came back a few minutes later to find him pencil in hand, scribbling on my paper! 



Not only had he sought out the pencil, but he knew what he was supposed to do with it!  I was in shock and awe.  I traded out the pencil for a crayon, for safety purposes of course, and left him to his coloring.  Maybe not my best idea ever, because, of course, I came back to crayon all over half his toys...  Thank goodness for Magic Eraser (and for my summer job at that daycare back in college that taught me that Magic Eraser will easily remove crayon from most surfaces!), and thankful for the fact that it wasn't the walls that he'd chosen to practice on.  Anyway even though I'd read what I'd read in my book, and Asher is nearly 10 months now, we were still pretty amazed.  :)

Since then, it's become an additional toy/activity that we provide, under supervision now... and he simply adores coloring!   :)   And we, of course, adore watching him.


A few of his scribbles. :)




My grocery list became all kinds of more beautiful... :) 

 
#Meagan

No comments: