Tuesday, January 3, 2012

6 weeks

Well Asher's six weeks today!  Sorry we missed the 5 week mark, but we were out of town at Grandma and Grandpa Anderson's and it just didn't get done. It was great to be with family again, even though over the last six weeks since Asher was born, Eric's been home 17 work days plus weekends, and we've spent 27 calendar days with one grandparent or another. What a blessing!  I've really not had all that much time with Asher by myself, without someone else's support.  At times it's easier than I expected, when he smiles, coos, sleeps, and is just his adorable self, which thankfully is the majority of the time.  But there are times, it's more difficult than expected too.  Most often when I just can't get enough sleep, or feel overwhelmed by the mess that continues to grow in every room of our house, or the rare times when he cries and cries without being able to asses the cause and it just about breaks my heart. When it gets overwhelming, I try to turn first to prayer, but I also wanted to share a poem that my mom shared with me that really just helps me step back and put some things in perspective.

Babies Don't Keep
by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

This time of life is short and it is precious. And isn't he adorable? 





This one was just too cute to pass up.


#Meagan

3 comments:

Paisley said...

OH MY he's so adorable. i just LOVE him! he's such a little man. :)

The Baack Family said...

The poem is so right Meagan! They change so quickly. I have told my Eric, with a tear in my eye, (Jacob and Caleb are 19 months apart) that they will leave the house for college as quickly as they came. Staying home isn't always easy, but so rewarding to see all of their first. Then, those toothless grins that cover their whole face make the tough times so much easier.


Donna

Christine Roberts said...

love the poem! and you are right, sister! your job right now is to nurture and feed lil Asher, everything else has to wait. you will get back to a new "normal" soon, when you will be able to care more about the state of your house. you're doing great Meagan!