Monday, May 14, 2012

My first Mother's Day

My first Mother's Day ended up being a fantastic day.  We went to church and out to eat with friends as normal, and then Eric took me to Earl May to pick out some flowers for my garden, and we spent some time out in the yard.  It was nice, but Eric had a commitment from 3:00-6:30, and while he was sorry he had to leave me alone on my first Mother's Day, commitments are commitments and I'm proud of him for being such a man of integrity.  However, I sat home feeling a little mopey, fighting my selfishness, and then - what do you know - at 4:00 there was an unexpected knock on the door and my mom, dad, and grandma had driven three hours for a surprise visit!  It was so great getting to see my mom on Mother's Day, especially when I was home alone and it was so unexpected.  We went on a walk to take advantage of the gorgeous weather, and then went out to eat after Eric got home.  We were able to skype with Eric's mom as well, and he said such sweet things to her that he made her cry (...that's when you know, as a woman, that you got a good one.)


We don't do as good as the Dobbs' with picture taking :), but here are a few from my family visit.

Well... let me tell you a little story first. I inherited eyes that are hyper-sensitive to light. Sunlight, camera flashes, pretty much any bright light causes my eyes to tear up, or at the very least, get all squinty. Eric is constantly telling me to open my eyes in pictures. 

Take 1...

Take 2...


 It really takes a concentrated effort. 

Anyway, the reason I tell you this story is that we took a four generation pic with my family while my grandma was here, and it dawned on me that I am presenting you with the direct genetic line of my eye sensitivity.  These pics made us laugh because we truly understand one another and our "affliction" with light. :)  For your viewing pleasure...




Dad...

 Grandma...


All three of us...



And did we think to take pictures on Mother's Day when all of us were dressed up and looking nice? Of course not, why would we do that when we could take them first thing the next morning? :)


Thankfully Asher does not seem to have inherited our eyes. It's hard to find one that you might call "the best", but I guess this might be it.  It's the best you're going to get with the morning light shining in the window and the camera flashing for the umteenth time. Of course by now, we're all laughing and talking and Asher's about at the end of his rope.  (Take a look at his progression through the pics. :)... He's like "come on guys, I got it on the first try!")

 

Anyway here's a few more of the moms...  (Also the next morning)



Unfortunately this is one of the few we got of Asher in his adorable outfit that he wore on Mother's Day.  We'll have to put him back in it for a better shot another day...   But, anyway, this little guy and his happy demeanor are the best mother's day gifts I could possibly ask for!

I love you, buddy! I'm so glad I get to be your mom.


#Meagan

No comments: