Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Perspectives change...

My birthday is in less than 2 weeks, but it is interesting how perspectives change when you have a baby, because I am far more excited right now for Asher's 1/2 birthday next week than for my own. Mostly because we are going to give him solids for the first time, and I just can't wait to see how he reacts!  He's been watching us eat like a hawk! Can you believe Asher is going to be 6 months in a week?!

The other perspective change I'm dealing with is in regards to sleep.  You know how 50 degrees feels so cold in the fall after you've had summer and yet it feels so warm in the spring after winter?  That's how I feeling about Asher getting up 5 times a night these days.  For the majority of the first 4 1/2 months of his little life, Asher was an awesome sleeper, waking up only once or twice a night.  At 3 months, you may remember, we even had a whole week when he slept 8-9 hours without waking up... and then all of a sudden because of one sickness after another, last month he started waking up 5-6 times a night. It was pretty rough on me.  But then... it got worse.  Last week there were nights when I was probably up 10 times or more.  We had some pleasing success with letting him cry it out... fell asleep after only 10 minutes of fussing while I patted his back... but the next morning he woke up with a nasty cold, and I just couldn't bear to keep having him cry it out when he felt so miserable.  Anyway, where I'm going with this is just to say that I'm now rejoicing when I only have to get up 5 times... funny how your perspective can change so fast. (Though I do hope with every fiber in my being that he'll go back to only getting up once a night soon!  Maybe someday...)    

Here he is, one week shy of 6 months, coming off of a nasty cold. Still as sweet as ever.


#Meagan

No comments: